The MacVanish clan has disapeared.
M***@hotmail.com
2015-06-06 10:20:02 UTC
I once saw an old clan map that placed a clan called MacVanish (or
maybe it was McVanish) on the spit of land at the north end of the
Black Isle in Ross-shire at the spot now occupied by the village of
Cromarty.
Recently I saw another map which showed a different clan name.
Of course not a soul will believe me when I say that there was a clan
called MacVanish that has now disapeared.
Can anyone shed any light on this subject and allow me to win my bet?
Where did they go?
Thanks
Regards
Adam Whyte-Settlar
The map is called "Scotland of Old" and was published in 1983. It was made by Iain Moncreiffe and Don Pottinger.
Alan Smaill
2015-06-06 12:14:20 UTC
Post by M***@hotmail.com
I once saw an old clan map that placed a clan called MacVanish (or
maybe it was McVanish) on the spit of land at the north end of the
Black Isle in Ross-shire at the spot now occupied by the village of
Cromarty.
Recently I saw another map which showed a different clan name.
Of course not a soul will believe me when I say that there was a clan
called MacVanish that has now disapeared.
Can anyone shed any light on this subject and allow me to win my bet?
Where did they go?
Adam Whyte-Settlar
The map is called "Scotland of Old" and was published in 1983. It was
made by Iain Moncreiffe and Don Pottinger.
Is it maybe a typo for "MacVarish" ?
Alan Smaill
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2015-09-22 10:19:23 UTC
Post by Alan Smaill
Post by M***@hotmail.com
I once saw an old clan map that placed a clan called MacVanish (or
maybe it was McVanish) on the spit of land at the north end of the
Black Isle in Ross-shire at the spot now occupied by the village of
Cromarty.
Recently I saw another map which showed a different clan name.
Of course not a soul will believe me when I say that there was a clan
called MacVanish that has now disapeared.
Can anyone shed any light on this subject and allow me to win my bet?
Where did they go?
Adam Whyte-Settlar
The map is called "Scotland of Old" and was published in 1983. It was
made by Iain Moncreiffe and Don Pottinger.
Is it maybe a typo for "MacVarish" ?
--
Alan Smaill
Dunno. Never heard of that name but then I'm no expert on Scottish names. Did they once live in the lands around Cromarty?
Not many left in the old group now eh? Sad in a way but I guess everything changes in the end. I still remember the heady days when I was awarded "The second least successful troll in the history of Usenet 1998 Award". I was so proud.
S Viemeister
2015-09-22 11:49:09 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by Alan Smaill
Post by M***@hotmail.com
[...]
MacVanish looks like a variation on MacManus.

Farmer Giles
Looks like they've just McVanished.
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2015-09-22 10:20:36 UTC
Post by M***@hotmail.com
I once saw an old clan map that placed a clan called MacVanish (or
maybe it was McVanish) on the spit of land at the north end of the
Black Isle in Ross-shire at the spot now occupied by the village of
Cromarty.
Recently I saw another map which showed a different clan name.
Of course not a soul will believe me when I say that there was a clan
called MacVanish that has now disapeared.
Can anyone shed any light on this subject and allow me to win my bet?
Where did they go?
Thanks
Regards
Adam Whyte-Settlar
The map is called "Scotland of Old" and was published in 1983. It was made by Iain Moncreiffe and Don Pottinger.
Thanks for you reply. Still doesn't answer my question though. What happened to the clan? Did they all get wiped out in a battle or something? I lived near Cromarty for years but I've never heard of the name 'McVanish'.