IONA STONES anyone know the lore?
c***@gmail.com
2015-06-22 13:51:35 UTC
I am using stones from Iona in jewelry that I design, make and sell in the
US mostly for a Scots-American audience. The green marble from the old
quarry is what is usually called "Iona Stone". I use this but also use the
red, green, white and black granitite sort of stone that is found on the
south end of the island. The bedrock around Columba's bay is made of this
material.
I once heard this material refered to as "bloodstone" but the silversmith
working on the Ross of Mull referes to it as "serpantine". In the US
serpantine refers to a very different, much softer material.
Everthing connected with Iona has some sort of legend or lore attached to
it. My visits have been too brief to learn much about any traditional
beliefs about this stone, but since the stone is so beautiful and
plentiful I feel certain that the imaginative people of this part of the
world must have found some special use or meaning for it.
My jewelry, including some peices that use the Iona stones can be seen at
http://www.underbridge.com/market/walker/walker.htm
Thanks for any help.
Tapadh leibh,
Steve
Hi Steve good on you for shooting down in flames that idiot that thinks Scotland belongs to him. My uncle's name ( Pilot Officer Colin Campbell MacColl) is the first name on the Iona War Memorial and He was born along with other siblings in a crofters cottage called Culdamh just off Port Bahn and my Great Grandfather Donald Campbell saved the lives of 3 sailors when the Guy Mannering foundered on the rocks all these years ago so I reckon that gives me the right to an input in this conversation. You are doing an amazing job creating Iona jewellery with the stones and distributing it around the globe. When I visited New Zealand I took some stones in my luggage and gave it to the people I met and they were thrilled to receive such a momento from such a holy place. The last day of my New Zealand trip I was in a place called Nelson walking along a grassed area when I was prompted to look down and there lying at my feet was a small stone from New Zealand practically hidden by the blades of grass around it. i took it on my next visit to Scotland and handed it back to nature. I am proud to be Scottish and the amazing history it has but the goons who have taken it over make me fearful for the future.
Best Regards Catherine Wilson .
soupdragon
2015-06-22 17:37:48 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
You're replying to a post from almost 20 years ago. Check the date
The website is long gone.
r***@gmail.com
I am on Iona now - a friend here works with the stone, making jewelry and using it for ceremony. The early Christian lore you speak of seems to be correct - to save one from drowning. The new agey me - American of Scottish descent on both sides of my family, who is visiting folks who have lived here for a long time,says that there is definitely something wonderful energetically about the green stone. The only hearsay lore I have uncovered on island is that it is connected to Faerie. I am sure you have researched how Iona was formed and that the geology here is completely different than on Mull, any granite has washed ashore.
The Phantom Piper
2016-06-28 16:25:41 UTC
I am sure you have researched how Iona was formed [...]
You do realise you are replying to a more-than-20-year-old thread?

Doing The Time-Warp,

The Phantom Piper
S Viemeister
Hi there, Piper!
The Phantom Piper
2016-06-30 19:18:51 UTC
Post by S Viemeister
Hi there, Piper!
Hallooo there, Sheila!

So, d'ya think *NOW* they can get full independence through?

Or is the Scottish electorate ready to accept Bonnie Prince
Boris and Sweet Nigel as lawful leaders?

I urgently need to know, as even in my role of 'Greek In Rome'
I might have to flee the advent of Emperor Trump and come home.

(Or, I hear Greece is nice in the Spring...)

Awrabest,

The Phantom Piper
Alan Smaill
2016-06-30 19:26:18 UTC
Post by The Phantom Piper
Post by S Viemeister
Hi there, Piper!
Hallooo there, Sheila!
So, d'ya think *NOW* they can get full independence through?
Only if the support is there --
will you come to Scotland and get involved?
Post by The Phantom Piper
I urgently need to know, as even in my role of 'Greek In Rome'
I might have to flee the advent of Emperor Trump and come home.
Things must be *really* bad
for you to be thinking of coming to Scotland!
Post by The Phantom Piper
(Or, I hear Greece is nice in the Spring...)
More to your taste, perhaps.
Post by The Phantom Piper
Awrabest,
The Phantom Piper
Alan Smaill
S Viemeister
And if Brexit actually happens.
The Phantom Piper
2016-06-30 19:42:44 UTC
[Well, who cares, really?]

My, your life must be sma[i]ll...

All that lurking, just . . . *waiting* . . . for me to come by
and allow you that moment of self-perceived 'glory'...

How sad.

Making Your Day,

The Phantom Piper
Alan Smaill
2016-07-01 10:42:19 UTC
Post by The Phantom Piper
[Well, who cares, really?]
Not you, it was just talking about Scotland after all.
Post by The Phantom Piper
Making Your Day,
The Phantom Piper
QED.