Anybody out there?
h***@gmail.com
2015-03-15 02:36:15 UTC
The Nit Nurse has started a Facebook account called soc.culture.scottish if any you are interested.

Cheers, Helen
Peter Jason
2015-03-16 01:36:26 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
The Nit Nurse has started a Facebook account called soc.culture.scottish if any you are interested.
Cheers, Helen
Bah! I'll never go to FaceKook. The result will be spam & more spam

I think 'Fred the Undead' should go, and all other members of the
Great Global Warming Cult.
Fred J. McCall
2015-03-16 03:27:49 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by h***@gmail.com
The Nit Nurse has started a Facebook account called soc.culture.scottish if any you are interested.
Cheers, Helen
Bah! I'll never go to FaceKook. The result will be spam & more spam
Because that NEVER happens on Usenet...
Post by Peter Jason
I think 'Fred the Undead' should go, and all other members of the
Great Global Warming Cult.
I think you should go to Twitter, where the habitues are known as
'Twidiots'. In your case it's type casting...
territory."
--G. Behn
Fifeshire Floozie
2015-03-16 03:55:26 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Bah! I'll never go to FaceKook. The result will be spam & more spam
Bah! yourself. It's your loss. I haven't seen any spam on this scs... closed group.
Post by Peter Jason
I think 'Fred the Undead' should go,
That's discrimination and besides, I haven't seen any problems with Fred.
Post by Peter Jason
and all other members of the Great Global Warming Cult.
No sign of any Global Warming threads either.

Cheers, Helen
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2015-09-22 10:36:31 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
and all other members of the Great Global Warming Cult.
No sign of any Global Warming threads either.
Cheers, Helen
Hi Helen.
Don't know if you will ever see this but it looks like SCS has just about had it now. Sad. I won't be going to Facebook though. Just not the same craic and rythm as a newsgroup thread. I was good at those.
It was great fun back in the day and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

The adorable
Adam Whyte-Settlar.
S Viemeister
2015-09-22 11:46:57 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Hi Helen.
Don't know if you will ever see this but it looks like SCS has just about had it now. Sad. I won't be going to Facebook though. Just not the same craic and rythm as a newsgroup thread. I was good at those.
It was great fun back in the day and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
The adorable
Adam Whyte-Settlar.
FaceBook is beginning to allow some threading, which definitely improves
the flow.
David Edmunds
2015-09-22 12:29:59 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by Peter Jason
and all other members of the Great Global Warming Cult.
No sign of any Global Warming threads either.
Cheers, Helen
Hi Helen.
Don't know if you will ever see this but it looks like SCS has just about had it now. Sad. I won't be going to Facebook though. Just not the same craic and rythm as a newsgroup thread. I was good at those.
It was great fun back in the day and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
The adorable
Adam Whyte-Settlar.
Do I detect a pulse. ITS NO DEED!

David Martin Edmunds
t***@gmail.com
2015-12-02 16:35:47 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
The adorable
Adam Whyte-Settlar.
Did you retired to Barcelona yet?

Adam Whyte-Settlar
2015-09-22 10:34:19 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by h***@gmail.com
The Nit Nurse has started a Facebook account called soc.culture.scottish if any you are interested.
Cheers, Helen
Bah! I'll never go to FaceKook. The result will be spam & more spam
I think 'Fred the Undead' should go, and all other members of the
Great Global Warming Cult.
You must be feeling pretty silly now that global warming has become an obvious everyday reality all over the world.
Hottest year on record by a ling way this year too.
David Edmunds
2015-10-02 09:24:18 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
The Nit Nurse has started a Facebook account called soc.culture.scottish if any you are interested.
Cheers, Helen
It may be too late to do anything about this newsgroup, but surely those of us remaining should try to do something.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Whatever happened to the plans for Usenet 2.0?

David Martin Edmunds
Joe Makowiec
2015-10-02 11:59:36 UTC
Post by David Edmunds
It may be too late to do anything about this newsgroup, but surely
those of us remaining should try to do something.
Anyone out there have any ideas?
Whatever happened to the plans for Usenet 2.0?
I'm still out here. Glad to see some people still monitor the group.
Personally, I have a Facebook account (for professional reasons), but I
use it as little as possible.

Usenet's still alive, albeit fairly limited - mostly oldsters and geeks,
particularly where the two groups overlap. I'd never heard about Usenet
2.0, but when most of the madding crowd is willing to put up with web
fora, and usenet (and other nntp forums) are (charitably) slowing, what's
the point to putting effort into something nobody will hear about?

I did a nostalgia trip recently; here's the last snapshot of Ian
Stewart's website, including the SCS Informer:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110720163422/http://www.ian-stewart.eu/
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
The Phantom Piper
2015-10-02 14:39:43 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
I did a nostalgia trip recently; here's the last snapshot of Ian
https://web.archive.org/web/20110720163422/http://www.ian-stewart.eu/
Ah, that's a nice trip doon Memory Close - where there
are a gang of Neds just waiting in the shadows at the
end to beat the life out of you.

I volunteer to moderate the auld snakepit (after all,
who's more Moderate than me?); it'll be easy as I'm
presently Haunting the place, determined to Win by
being the Last One Here.

We'll begin by re-posting the SCS Rules & Code Of Honour,
copied straight from Ian's site, as written by me in the
auld lang syne:

The Code of Honour of SCS

by The Phantom Piper

The Covenant

1.) As a Poster to the Hallowed Halls of S.C.S.,
I shall post only the Truth (as I see it),
and accept nothing less than Total Capitulation
from my fellow Posters.

5.) I shall abide by the Straight and Narrow;
and Logic and Verity shall govern my course.
When making up Facts I shall do my best to
make up supporting Sources as well; a complete
made-up Bibliography would be best.

C.) I shall not Flame my fellow Posters, save
that they Deserve it, in some manner to be
determined by myself alone, with God's counsel
(unless I don't believe in Him).

7.) When the Flaming of one or more of my fellow
Posters has been deemed Necessary - according
to the Will Of God and Myself - I shall do so
with the utmost care and honour. I will be certain
to mention my target's Mother, as this is but
simple courtesy. I will question which Diseases
and Disorders my target may suffer from - everyone
appreciates concern about their Health. I will
not slight, by omission, my target's Ancestry,
Religion, or Politics - one should be cognizant
of the failings of Others, and their likely
provenance as a result of either Nature or Nurture...

Q.) When starting New Threads, I shall follow the
guidelines as set down by St. Jon in the Times
of Trouble: if I am a Britclone, I will revile
any and all things having to do with Scottish
Culture as being 'Quaint Brigadoonery'; gin Ah
am a Scot, Ah'll scrieve anerly in the Leid,
or the best Ah can pass it fir, maugre ma ain
scant skeel at it; if I am an Expat, I will
commingle Fusty Nostalgia with the mores of
my Adoptive Country; if I am an American, I
will start a Gun Thread.

The Oath

I, <insert either your own - or, better still,
someone else's full name here> DO HEREBY SOLEMNLY
SWEAR TO ABIDE BY THE AFOREMENTIONED COVENANT
(SAVING ONLY THAT IT BE INCONVENIENT FOR ME
TO DO SO), AND PROMISE MY LIFE AND HONOUR IN
THE SERVICE OF THE BETTERMENT OF S.C.S., BY
ENLIGHTENING THE BENIGHTED FOOLS WHO FREQUENT
IT WITH THE ILLUMINATION OF MY WISDOM, AND BY
THE DISPENSATION OF SUCH MERCY AS I SHALL DEIGN
TO SHOW THEM, AMEN.

Appendix I

Definition:

Britclone (brit' - klon): n. A native of one
of the countries formerly conquered or absorbed
by the English Empire, who has forgotten his
or her national Identity, Culture and Heritage
to the point where he or she now identifies
himself or herself as being 'British.'

And here's the direct link to the above:

https://web.archive.org/web/20101112093805/http://www.ian-stewart.eu/scs_code.php

As always...

Happy To Help,

The Phantom Piper
[ Phantoms, Spooks, and Ghosties Union
Local #2849 - "Haunting battlements near
you since 1075." (tm) ]
S Viemeister
2015-10-02 15:05:20 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
I did a nostalgia trip recently; here's the last snapshot of Ian
https://web.archive.org/web/20110720163422/http://www.ian-stewart.eu/
Sadly, though, the photographs from the Skittish Quilter get-together in
Stirling, are missing - and I never got around to copying them. :(
Joe Makowiec
2015-10-02 20:48:21 UTC
/
Sadly, though, the photographs from the Skittish Quilter
get-together in Stirling, are missing - and I never got around to
copying them. :(
Did Ian O have them? I have quite a bit of his archive.
Joe Makowiec
2015-10-02 21:03:15 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
Post by S Viemeister
Post by Joe Makowiec
I did a nostalgia trip recently; here's the last snapshot of Ian
https://web.archive.org/web/20110720163422/http://www.ian-stewart.eu/
Sadly, though, the photographs from the Skittish Quilter
get-together in Stirling, are missing - and I never got around to
copying them. :(
Did Ian O have them? I have quite a bit of his archive.
Since I dragged Ian O into this, the archive of his site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050827100726/http://www.iomorrison.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
S Viemeister
2015-10-02 23:06:29 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
Post by S Viemeister
Sadly, though, the photographs from the Skittish Quilter
get-together in Stirling, are missing - and I never got around to
copying them. :(
Did Ian O have them? I have quite a bit of his archive.
I don't know. I know Ian O had some really nice landscape shots (one or
two of which were taken from the top of my drive!)