Language
conway caine
2013-03-26 19:59:27 UTC
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
Alan Smaill
2013-03-26 20:26:56 UTC
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
or the imminent demise ?
Post by conway caine
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
I blame the parents.
Alan Smaill
The Other Guy
2013-03-26 22:19:01 UTC
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:26:56 +0000, Alan Smaill
Post by Alan Smaill
I blame the parents.
I blame the government. OR the Muslims. Or maybe even the zombies.

Possibly JUST the Progressive Muslim Zombies!

To reply by email, lose the Ks...
Bryn Fraser
2013-03-27 15:27:47 UTC
Post by Alan Smaill
I blame the parents.
I blame the government. OR the Muslims. Or maybe even the zombies.
Possibly JUST the Progressive Muslim Zombies!
To reply by email, lose the Ks...
I still blame the Queenmother for most things...

Bryn
Jeffrey Hamilton
2013-03-27 05:29:10 UTC
Post by conway caine
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
I blame the parents.
Whilst I blame rappers.

cheers....Jeff
conway caine
2013-03-27 19:56:56 UTC
Post by conway caine
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
I blame the parents.

****I tend to agree.
Also, the horrible excuse for a language used by our texters.
Facebook with it's abbreviated messages holds a share of blame as well.
Conversation as we once knew it is fast disappearing.
Séimí mac Liam
2013-03-28 02:40:21 UTC
Post by conway caine
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
I blame the parents.
****I tend to agree.
Also, the horrible excuse for a language used by our texters.
Facebook with it's abbreviated messages holds a share of blame as
well. Conversation as we once knew it is fast disappearing.
So few worthy speaking to.
--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve
Canonized December '99
conway caine
2013-03-28 13:25:21 UTC
"Alan Smaill" wrote in message
So few worthy speaking to.

*****Well, we all seemed willing enough to engage AOTI in conversation.
Séimí mac Liam
2013-03-28 17:17:37 UTC
Post by Séimí mac Liam
"Alan Smaill" wrote in message
So few worthy speaking to.
*****Well, we all seemed willing enough to engage AOTI in
conversation.
Aye, but then he really needs speaking to, yeah? A civic duty,
certainly?
Canonized December '99
conway caine
2013-03-29 17:21:10 UTC
Post by conway caine
*****Well, we all seemed willing enough to engage AOTI in
conversation.
Aye, but then he really needs speaking to, yeah? A civic duty,
certainly?

****I think the group was more into public humiliation.
They succeeded admirably.
One of scs's great moments of glory.
The Other Guy
2013-03-26 22:14:46 UTC
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:59:27 -0400, "conway caine"
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of
I suspect you meant imminent?

Most people can't properly use what language they do know,
so eliminating the lesser used words might be a good thing.

To reply by email, lose the Ks...
conway caine
2013-03-27 19:58:13 UTC

*****It is moments like this when I am overcome with embarrassment.

Adam Whyte-Settlar
waddayamean 'moments'.
Peter Jason
2013-03-26 23:23:19 UTC
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
As has carpetbaggery, snake-oiling, blaggards,
tar-babies, flim-flam, resurrection-financiers,
necromancers, venal, vile, slimebags, Keynesian,
pushers and others too numerous to mention.
conway caine

***Necromancers gone? I suggest a trip to the Isle of Man............
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2013-03-27 05:19:48 UTC
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
Speak for yourself. I use 'whence' quite often and 'whom' all the time. Well - every time it's appropriate obviously. Its still in common usage among my circle of reprobates too.
Can't say I use 'whither' very often 'tis true, but I still use it occasionaly.

I have noticted that the younger generation are neglecting their arses in favour of their asses though. That's more of a tragedy in my opinion.

Think I might have figured out this google groups thingy a little. Still can't find a way of highlighting replies to my posts though. Maybe there just aren't any. So if you find youself being ignored it might not be because you're boring.
Well - you ARE boring - but that might not be the reason you are being ignored.
Hope that's clear.

By the way - it's been a terrible summer here. Relentless burny-face fry-egg-on-head type of stuff for months on end. The whole north island is officialy in a drought. We've been told to conserve water so I only turn the sprinklers on once it gets dark now. The neighbours are likely to dob me in you see. They think they are more important than my begonias.
Sanctimonious tossers.

Breaking news is I've got access to a thoroughbred at last. Finaly.
Not mine of course - she cost $75,000 NZ. You would have to be mad. But she's a beaut. I'd forgotten just how fast those buggers will shift when you really lay into them with the whip.
It's been years since I rode a decent horse. (No puns please)
I've also arranged for a Shetland Pony for the PFD. Never let it be said. I even let her borrow my stepladder.

Other than that my retirement has been fairly uneventfull of late. Been trying to write something but I'm a talentless prick in that regard. I'm not bad at mocking the afflicted and retarded on newsgroups (as you well know) but a comic novel is another matter.
Maybe I should stick to tragedy and just write my memoirs.

Might drop in more often now I've sussed this thingout a bit better.

The adorable
Adam Whyte-Settlar.

"Never underestimate the power of denial"
Ricky Fitts
'American Beauty'
Jeffrey Hamilton
2013-03-27 05:32:56 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
[...]
So have you purchased yourself a pair of chaps yet ? :)

cheers....Jeff
S Viemeister
2013-03-27 11:34:45 UTC
Umm...
conway caine
2013-03-27 20:00:29 UTC
****Adam, you auld scoundrel, how have you managed to hide your posts from
me????
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2013-03-29 07:27:04 UTC
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Speak for yourself. I use 'whence' quite often and 'whom' all the
time. Well - every time it's appropriate obviously. Its still in
common usage among my circle of reprobates too.
Can't say I use 'whither' very often 'tis true, but I still use it
occasionaly.
****Adam, you auld scoundrel, how have you managed to hide your posts from
me????
Easy - I havn't made any.

Nice to see there are still a few of the auld faithfull among the trolls, the climate change deniers and the generaly retarded in here.
Do you realise it's 16 years since we first crossed zimmerframes?
It's just obscene that you insist on clinging on to life.
La N.
2013-03-29 07:31:53 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Speak for yourself. I use 'whence' quite often and 'whom' all the
time. Well - every time it's appropriate obviously. Its still in
common usage among my circle of reprobates too.
Can't say I use 'whither' very often 'tis true, but I still use it
occasionaly.
****Adam, you auld scoundrel, how have you managed to hide your posts from
me????
Easy - I havn't made any.
Nice to see there are still a few of the auld faithfull among the trolls,
the climate change deniers and the generaly retarded in here.
Do you realise it's 16 years since we first crossed zimmerframes?
It's just obscene that you insist on clinging on to life.
LOL. The adorable one is back! I'm glad I bother to peek in from time to
time.

- nilita
Mary
2013-03-29 19:34:28 UTC
Post by La N.
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Speak for yourself. I use 'whence' quite often and 'whom' all the
time. Well - every time it's appropriate obviously. Its still in
common usage among my circle of reprobates too.
Can't say I use 'whither' very often 'tis true, but I still use it
occasionaly.
****Adam, you auld scoundrel, how have you managed to hide your posts from
me????
Easy - I havn't made any.
Nice to see there are still a few of the auld faithfull among the trolls,
the climate change deniers and the generaly retarded in here.
Do you realise it's 16 years since we first crossed zimmerframes?
It's just obscene that you insist on clinging on to life.
LOL. The adorable one is back! I'm glad I bother to peek in from time to
time.
- nilita
Nilita - Where are your hangouts these days? Nice to see you dropping by and
Adam too. I still check in here most days to see who is here and I post
occasionally.

Mary
La N.
2013-03-29 21:03:42 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
[...]
Hey, Mary! Good to see you! I check in on Usenet about once a month. Other
than that, I'm on Facebook and in life. Heh. What can I say. I live in
Vancouver, one of the most interesting cities in the world. And that reminds
me, I think Adam was once making noises about moving himself and his PFD or
PDF of FDP to this part of the world?

C'mon back, Adam. All is forgiven!

- nilita
Mary
2013-03-29 21:13:14 UTC
Post by La N.
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
[...]
I thought he was going to visit you with his PDF (PDF?). Or was he going to
move to Vancouver?

Mary
La N.
2013-03-29 21:27:20 UTC
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
[...]
They were going to move north of Vancouver in some coastal town and come
visit and drink beer with me in Vancouver .. :)

- nilita
l***@gmail.com
2017-04-21 14:51:21 UTC
Post by La N.
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Mary
Post by La N.
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
[...]
Life had other ideas I'm afraid. The couple whom we were coming over to visit and stay with moved back to Scotland for several years. It was definately a possibility at time of writing but was not to be.
I'm still in north NZ. I feel I can do some good here.
S Viemeister
2017-04-21 16:01:34 UTC
Mr Whyte-Settlar? Is that you?
l***@gmail.com
2017-05-25 11:45:30 UTC
Post by S Viemeister
Post by l***@gmail.com
Life had other ideas I'm afraid. The couple whom we were coming over to visit and stay with moved back to Scotland for several years. It was definately a possibility at time of writing but was not to be.
I'm still in north NZ. I feel I can do some good here.
Mr Whyte-Settlar? Is that you?
Hi there.
Yes - it's me.
I'm still alive.
Unlike the once famous scs it seems. Sad. I loved the fun we used to have.
Charles Ellson
2017-05-25 19:20:39 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by S Viemeister
Post by l***@gmail.com
Life had other ideas I'm afraid. The couple whom we were coming over to visit and stay with moved back to Scotland for several years. It was definately a possibility at time of writing but was not to be.
I'm still in north NZ. I feel I can do some good here.
Mr Whyte-Settlar? Is that you?
Hi there.
Yes - it's me.
I'm still alive.
Unlike the once famous scs it seems. Sad. I loved the fun we used to have.
Gone to Twitter to avoid the trolls and gun nuts.

---
http://www.avg.com
Fred J. McCall
2017-05-26 00:41:36 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by S Viemeister
Post by l***@gmail.com
Life had other ideas I'm afraid. The couple whom we were coming over to visit and stay with moved back to Scotland for several years. It was definately a possibility at time of writing but was not to be.
I'm still in north NZ. I feel I can do some good here.
Mr Whyte-Settlar? Is that you?
Hi there.
Yes - it's me.
I'm still alive.
Unlike the once famous scs it seems. Sad. I loved the fun we used to have.
Gone to Twitter to avoid the trolls and gun nuts.
Twitter - the absolute lowest common denominator of social media.
There's a reason they're called 'twitiots'.
--
You are
What you do
When it counts.
Fred J. McCall
2013-03-29 14:51:51 UTC
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
****Adam, you auld scoundrel, how have you managed to hide your posts from
me????
Easy - I havn't made any.
Why, how clever of you! Could you not make some more?
--
"We come into the world and take our chances.
Fate is just the weight of circumstances.
-- "Roll The Bones", Rush
Séimí mac Liam
2013-03-28 02:38:55 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Hamilton
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
[...]
He's had those for yonks, uses them for bureau diving, doncha know.
Canonized December '99
conway caine
2013-03-28 13:23:58 UTC

****Isn't The Adorable One now a bit long in the tooth for such activities?
Adam Whyte-Settlar
2013-03-29 07:30:38 UTC
Post by Séimí mac Liam
Post by Jeffrey Hamilton
Post by Adam Whyte-Settlar
Post by conway caine
[...]
I've never had to pay for chaps in my life.

I even got paid for wearing these.

fucknell
2013-03-27 18:49:41 UTC
for once we agree
fucknell
2013-03-27 18:47:51 UTC
i still use them.
conway caine

******True word crafting is still fairly well limited to Ireland.
David Edmunds
2017-04-24 17:45:10 UTC
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
Whosoever uses one of these words must be really old

David Martin Edmunds
Charles Ellson
2017-04-25 01:44:26 UTC
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:45:10 -0700 (PDT), David Edmunds
Post by David Edmunds
Post by conway caine
Consider the eminent demise of "Whence", "Whither", and "Whom".
They have all but disappeared from common usage.
Sad, really.....................
Whosoever uses one of these words must be really old
Or at least in the case of the last word speak English properly.

---
http://www.avg.com
The Newest Other Guy
:)
The Phantom Piper
2017-04-25 04:31:32 UTC
Post by David Edmunds
Whosoever uses one of these words must be really old
Or at least in the case of the last word speak English properly.
I lament the passing of words such as 'whence', 'whither',
and 'withal' from current usage. (And that's just a few of
the 'W's!) Not only are most younger speakers of English
(which, as I have long maintained, is one of the few great
things given to us by the Anglistanis, along with Shakespeare
and the Cadbury Creme Egg and so forth) not conversant with
the good old words, they live in in a Hell of "hella"s and
"how r u"s.

It's bad enough that we don't see 'weasand' and 'maugre'
anymore, must we also be reduced to hearing 'drownded',
'nookewlur', and yes, even '[dis]orientate[d]' - which
folk from the UK are disproportionately prone to using
in their daily speech. (It's not 'Orientated' - it's
'Oriented': look up the etymology of the word, as it
relates to Cathedrals.

Truly, the collapse of what remains of Civilisation
progresses at an alarming rate.

Peeved,

The Phantom Piper